Wednesday, November 25, 2009

In the capital and the forest

I was driving around Washington DC in a bus at night, with my sister and Cassie. The bus driver was one of my professors, and we were supposed to go on a date after he finished his route. It became very late, and I had to decide whether to stay overnight with him in DC or to take the last train back to Baltimore with the girls. First I decided that I would stay, and then I changed my mind and decided to return home. As soon as I knew that I was going to leave, the spell was broken and I had no idea why I had been tempted to spend time with my professor in the first place.

Then I was driving with David through a redwood forest, along the edge of a mountain. We pulled over next to a very long, steep dirt road leading down into the trees. David got out of the car, walked over to the road, sat down, pushed himself off and slid down through the trees so fast that he was quickly out of view. I followed, thinking as I sped down how difficult it would be to climb back up later. At the bottom of the road was a narrow beach, and I slid right past a fat black seal into the water. We were in a small, sunny cove, with a high stone wall about fifty feet out that prevented us from seeing the ocean beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this have to do with your {insert parental relation here}?