Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Apocalypse Dream

...

I am in a tall building wearing a dress I just gave away. I have some things at a table in a corner. Hurriedly I run up some stairs to the bathroom leaving my things. In the bathroom a motherly woman, wearing the same shade of Maroon as me stops me and gives me a long warm reassuring hug.

I am aware that time is running out. It is the familiar song that has just come on. At the end of this song I must be out of this building. I rush downstairs and over to the corner where I grab my things. I hurry out the emergency exit and am making my way down the stairs when the song ends.

I see an echo of light coming from outside and hear the first explosion. I make it to the exit at the bottom of the stairs and continue to hurry outside. I walk across the lawn away from the building. Across the water, over the bay I see each tall building get hit and start to burn. Behind me the building is hit again, and this time is completely destroyed. I walk down to the water's edge, near a parking lot.

I think that if I had a car I would get in it and desperately drive somewhere, but it wouldn't be necessary--it's not like I would be going somewhere, there's nowhere to go. It would just be a relief to be going fast like these other panicked drivers.

I walk past some people in white t-shirts (it's turning to night) who either haven't figured it out yet, or they just don't care. Then I begin to follow a path along the water's edge hoping to get a better view of the destroyed city. I am aware of this all as playing out as it has before. I pass a couple hobo's who seem to have known this would happen. One of them raises a pineapple at me in salute.

I don't think of anyone. I just wonder where I will go, and I wonder what value the things I saved have now that the system they are a part of doesn't exist.

...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Does this have to do with your {insert parental relation here}?